Tuesday, June 14, 2016

5 Reasons to Love Living in New York City

Moving to New York City just over 2 years ago was probably the best decision I could have ever made. In fact, I was so determined to move to Manhattan, I only applied to colleges that were commutable to and from the city.

Living in New York City has lived up to and exceeded the expectations I had before moving. Here are some of  the reasons I find living in the city to be so amazing.

1. The Neighborhoods
With 5 boroughs to choose from, there is something for everyone. But even within each borough, the vast number of neighborhoods offer completely different options. Each neighborhood has a distinct personality and flavor. For example, living in Astoria would offer a completely different experience than living in Brooklyn Heights. That's the beauty of it though, depending on specific tastes and preferences, you can find a neighborhood that would suit you. 

2. Public Transit or Walking
New York City has easily accessible public transit options, including the subway, bus routes, taxis, and even the Metro North. These options make it easy to get from one place to the next in the shortest amount of time possible.

But even better than that, walking might even be a better way to get around the city and to where you need to go. This way, you get in exercise and aren't stuck in traffic or affected by any bothersome transit delays. 

3. Diversity
I will run into different types of people every time I step outside. To me, it is amazing to see people with such different backgrounds all come together to live in one city. Meeting many different types of people opened by eyes up to new and exciting cultures, and truly put life into perspective, which I might not have been able to experience had I moved anywhere else. When people say that the United States is the melting pot, New York City and its residents really do make that statement true. 

4. Culture
Whether it is the hundreds of restaurants or the dozens of museums, New York City is full of culture. Right outside my door I can experience something new through the arts, food, sports, etc. No day in Manhattan is the same as the day before. Each time I try a new spot for lunch or see a performance at Lincoln Center, I come across something totally new and exciting. 

5. Career Opportunities
As a college student, career opportunities are definitely something I have to think about and keep in the back of my mind. New York City is an ideal place to jump start a career, especially for a business student like myself. Its a place where I can work for a firm that has been around for decades, try out a job at a boutique company, or even work to jump start my business. New York City is full of opportunities, no matter what field someone is looking to get into. 

These are just 5 of  the reasons I find living in New York City an amazing opportunity, The list goes on and on, but I felt these were the ones worth mentioning the most. 

1 comment:

  1. NYC does have amazing opportunities - though I can't say I miss riding the subway in July to the Bronx. :D

    ReplyDelete