Wednesday, July 20, 2016

New York City From Another Perspective

One blogger that I absolutely look up to is Tracy, the woman behind Tracy's New York Life. She focuses her blog around her lifestyle as a New Yorker and the culture within this great city. I recently read Tracy's post, Preserving New York City's Mom-and-Pop Shops and had some thoughts of my own on the topic.

Italian Shop, Tracy's New York Life 

Part of why I fell in love with this city was the culture, which included independent stores and hole-in-the-wall shops. These types of businesses provided something more than the branded chains that we all hear about everyday. Mom-and-Pop shops make New York unique and not just any other metropolis.

Record Store, Tracy's New York Life 

Tracy touches on how shops like the ones seen above (check out Tracy's blog post for more photos), are becoming rarer and rarer. She also got James and Karla Murray, two authors and photographers, involved for this post. Together, the 3 of them tell stories about a selection of Mom-and-Pop shops, interviewing the owners, usually 3rd or 4th generation.

I really like how Tracy included the quotes from the shop owners, I think that putting a story behind these unique stores reminds everyone of what makes New York City the city it is today. Stores like these have history that run deep within New York City, and it is these stores that have shaped the culture that we all know and love. I think everyone should make an effort to try to preserve these Mom-and-Pop shops rather than be so quick to replace them with larger known brands.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Miranda!
    Thank you so much for mentioning me on your blog. I really appreciate it! Would you mind adding photo credits? I didn't take these photos and I want to be sure that James and Karla Murray get credit. They are amazingly talented photographers. :)

    So glad you got to live in NYC. Like you, I had wanted to live here for many years, and then my dream came true!

    ReplyDelete